Bitlocker Key Recovery Problem and Why It is a Stupid Idea


This night I tried to boot Linux Ubuntu from my usb hence I changed my security boot setting to "unlocked". Later on, I restarted my laptop and hoped that my laptop would be booted into Ubuntu. But WTF, suddenly blue screen notification appeared showing information about BITLOCKER KEY RECOVERY. My surface laptop forced me to input a 45 digit password which I don't remember ever create it. 

Holycrap! I tried to google it but first I followed a piece of information that Microsoft put on the blue screen about the BitLocker. I opened a page on the Microsoft website explaining about it and how to get the key from our Microsoft account. Later on, I tried to sign in to my Microsoft account, and became more panicked after my sign-in password did not work. After resetting my account, I managed to get into my hotmail account. Under the profile menu, I found several devices related to my Microsoft account. Soon I clicked on one of them that I am sure is my Surface laptop ID. After clicke on it, I scrolled down to the middle of the page and found the bitlocker thing, named "manage key". 

Happy to try the long password to the blue screen page, however, the password did not work!?

I re-read and re-type the password several times, still no luck! I almost lost hope and remember that I have some college deadlines due in the upcoming days. Damn, I regretted that I have not backed up my project to github. I was thinking to buy another laptop, maybe a second-hand old Macbook to catch up with the deadline. Why Macbook? because this BitLocker thing is so scary! I never remembered that I ever create one but now I am enforced to type in the password?

While thinking about buying, I also think about another account that could be related to this BitLocker. I realized that a couple of months ago I signed in to Microsoft Office with my college account in order to get free use of the application. But, it is a Microsoft Office account, not a Microsoft account. Why is it related to the BitLocker key? Despite being pessimistic, I tried to login into my college account and got into the profile page. 

Guess what? I found another version of BitLocker thing in my college account! What the hell? 

I just asked myself "Why Microsoft? Why?"

And while asking that, I typed in the looong password (several times because of typos). Finally, it worked! My surface could log in to the windows as normal operation. But, still I just wonder why Microsoft done such a creepy way to protect the data we have. What if I just give up without trying to login into my college account? What if my parent experienced this situation, when perhaps something happen to the operating system and throw the BitLocker blue screen. Can they figure out how to login?

Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

Download Option File PES 2011-PSP (Recommended)!

Cara Klaim Asuransi Mobil

PSP Go 6.35 Hacked!